Nowadays, we can’t think of our time without a phone. From the offices to businesses, to customers to a personal level of communication, a telephone has made its way importance. This article is intended to give the reader a glimpse of business telephone etiquette required to deal with a phone to bring out the optimum results at business phone etiquette.
Business telephone etiquette
The importance of business telephone etiquette rules cant is ignored. Answering telephone calls have some etiquette, rules & importance for business, office, customer services, and receptionists as the phone call etiquette.
Technology has continuously been developing size, length, utility, and purpose. The wired telephone of Graham Bell has about to go to the museum, but the transformed version of a mobile phone has not changed our ancient purpose of communication and call center phone etiquette.
Telephone or mobile has great importance nowadays for communication with its manifold benefits. However, a telephone deserves a bunch of etiquettes that every user should follow sincerely. What are those?
1. Don’t call a phone more than one time
It is enough to call a person one time in an interval. The other person is expected to take the call if he is nearby. Or, he intends to receive your call. Don’t redial repeatedly while your calls are not attended. So, the importance of business telephone etiquette rules cant is ignored for the proper phone etiquette for business.
2. Send SMS
You should realize the situation of your recipient. He might be not in a situation to pick the call. You can’t irritate her with your ring. Wait for the person to call you back later on. Or, call again after some time. You can utilize an SMS with a request to call you back at her convenient time for business phone etiquette training.
3. Announce your name when answering
As soon as the other person picks up the call, announce your name loudly. In the case of the mobile, your number may be saved to the person or maybe not. In case it is a business call, and you don’t call the other person that much frequently, must mention your name.
4. Don’t answer your phone when you are in a meeting
Unless it is not that much important, don’t pick up a phone call during a meeting you are in. If it is much needed to receive a phone, get out of the room with permission from your boss, peer, or participants. Due to a lack of some tricks, many people cannot perform their best.
5. Let the other person know when you are on the recording
Take permission from the recipient when you are going to record the phone call. Record a call only when your other part permits you to do so. It’s very urgent to follow not to fall into any legal obligation. We can’t record a phone call without permission. It is a breach of personal privacy and etiquette.
6. Be aware of your speaking volume
Don’t be too louder, nor be too lower. The best way is to keep an average and acceptable level of decibel sounds. A higher volume as well as a lower volume might be irritating for the receiver for the right work phone etiquette.
7. Don’t leave a long voicemail
Voicemail is a good way to send your message to the recipient in case your call is not attended. However, put only the emergency message, which should not be too long.
8. Let the other person know when you are on the speaker
Take permission from the other person before you put the call on the speakers. Mention the names who and who are with you and will be listening to the conversation. Your recipient should know who else is listening so that she can customize her talk according to office phone etiquette.
9. Choose a normal ringtone
Your ringtone is your personality. Choose your ringtone carefully. Let the other people know what a person you are. The first impression is the best impression about returning phone calls business etiquette.
In this regard, simplicity is the best option. The simple ringtone you use impels a person to have a respectful impression of you. Don’t irritate a person with any weird ringtone.
10. Don’t put the phone on the table while meeting with others
Unless switching off, don’t put the phone on the table while you are in a meeting with someone. Even if it is in the vibration mode, it may cause irritation and distractions for the other person you are in the meeting with. It is not professional etiquette. A great CEO, professionals, and leaders follow this tip and also teach their teammates.
11. Take permission before hold the call
When you need to hold one’s call, ask permission from the receiver. Without any notification, a sudden hold of the call may be embarrassing for the other person. The same rule applies in case of any call transfer, a PR conference call to others.
Answering telephone calls have some etiquette, rules & importance for business, office, customer services, and receptionists that we should obey the office telephone etiquette.
12. Respect quiet zone
You would find several places around you where you can’t receive a phone. This is because of the official or unofficial restrictions to noise. Apart from a meeting room, you can’t pick a call (or send a call) in places like hospitals, cemeteries, or exam Hall, among others.
13. No call while driving
Whatever the situation of urgency, you never ever receive or send any phone call while you are driving yourself. It is legally prohibited, as well as risky for you, the other persons, or drivers around you. In case of urgency for a phone call, park the vehicle in a suitable place as a part of telephone etiquette in business communication.
14. Don’t talk loudly in a public place
It is not decent to talk over mobile loudly in a public place like a market, rail station, bus, stadium, or cinema hall. You should be careful so that any other person around you would not get bothered.
15. Don’t give others to talk over your mobile
It has been a serious issue nowadays of corporate telephone etiquette. Unless you are not 100% confident, you should not allow any other passer-by or unknown person to use your phone for his call, upon his return. It may be harmful to you and society if the caller is not the right person.
Other Recommended Articles
- 8 Tips on How to Forgive Someone Who Hurt You Emotionally
- 17 Opportunities for Professional Development, Advancement
- What is Network Marketing and How Does It Work in Business?
- Brand Color Guide – How to Choose Your Brand Colors?
- 9 Tips on How to be Accountable to Yourself At Work
- 15 Hacks on How to Delegate Effectively As A Leader
- 8 Signs of A Bad Business Websites – How To Overcome
- 14 Ways on How to Motivate Others to Achieve A Goal
- 11 Types of Business Marketing Channels – 150 Examples
- 6 Tips on Writing Good Marketing Articles
- 9 Solutions on How to Forgive and Let Go of the Past
- 13 Ways to Improve Leadership Skills in the Workplace
- Write Business Email – Secret of Successful Marketing Campaign
- 10 Basic Features of Term Loan Everyone Should Learn
- 12 Tips on How Do You Hold Yourself Accountable
- 11 Ideas on How to Delegate Tasks and Responsibilities
- 9 Steps in Strategic Planning for A Successful Business
- 16 Tips On How to Motivate Team and Others At Work
- 7 Foolproof Risk Management Techniques from Nothing
- 6 Features of A Great Succession Planning Process