Do you have a desire to build career in the largest (2016) retailer in the US? We will be talking about career opportunities, and required skills in Costco. As one of the leading retailers. Costco offers various career opportunities with some specific required skills at all of the Costco locations.
This leading wholesale offers lucrative job opportunities at all the Costco locations for the best fit candidates with competitive salary and secured career. Employees in Costco, which is 231000 (2017) in number, feels higher job satisfaction.
Employees feel ownership and bonding with Costco. This, however, reflects in lower turnover in the organization. Popular warehouse chain Costco has set examples to many career challengers.
Costco has been ranked #15 as per the Fortune 500 rankings by total revenue earning (US$2.679 billion, as on 2017). It proves the emerging growth since its inception in 1976.
This consolidated growth makes the career craving talents to choose Costco as their career partner.
Employees of Costco earn an average salary of $69,000 as per the Pay Scale whereas, new entry-level positions start job at an average $16.38 per hour.
With its 759 warehouse (2018), Costco Wholesale Corporation is successfully merchandising in the market as Costco. This wholesale has its HQ at Issaquah, Washington, United States.
Source says, as an American multinational corporation, Costco operates its operations in 13 countries (2019) including the United States (527), Canada (100), Mexico (38), United Kingdom (28), Japan (26), South Korea (15), Taiwan (14), Australia (9), Spain (2), Iceland (1), France (1) and China (1).
Founded by Jim Sinegal, Costco serves its clients with Merchandise, Cash & Carry and membership only Warehouse club at many Costco locations.
Know also about Family Dollar career opportunities.
Costco Unique features
- Online shopping is available
- Costco runs very lean, with overhead costs at about 10% of revenue and 2% profit margins.
- A typical Costco warehouse accommodates only 4,000 distinct products (a typical Walmart Super center carries approximately 140,000 products).
- Costco never preserves any product if the authority thinks the wholesale price is higher.
This wholesale has no any public relations department, it does not buy outside advertising
- It focuses on selling products at low prices, and usually at very high volume, that is, bulk-packaged at most of Costco locations.
- Focus on low price allows further reductions in price and marketing costs.
- Costco doesn’t stock extra bags or packing materials to reduce product costs (customers have to carry their own bags)
- Electric lights are adjusted (and reduced) during sunny days through several skylights. It is another way to reduce product costs.
- This company uses a frequently changing inventory of products.
- A regular publication Costco Connection is freely distributed to its members. It is the largest printed publication in entire US
As per the source Costco Wholesale Company pays its employees an average of $16.38 an hour. Hourly pay at Costco Wholesale Company ranges from an average of $10.65 to $25.85 an hour at various Costco locations.
Pharmacist make the most with an average hourly rate of $62.17, while employees with the title Food Server make the least with an average hourly rate of $8.97 in Costco. It offers various career opportunities with some specific required skills at different Costco locations.
Categorize hourly average pay:
Pharmacy Technician, $16.11
Warehouse Supervisor, $24.06
Licensed Optician, $22.41
Cake Decorator, $13.12
Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPHT), $14.82
Meat Cutter, $19.42
Food Service Worker, $13.38
Assistant Cashier, $13.22
Customer Service Representative (CSR), $12.42
Forklift Operator, $15.28
Sales Associate, $12.87
Inventory Control Specialist, $19.69
Forklift Driver, $16.88
Deli Clerk, $13.70
Warehouse Worker, $13.41
Member Service Representative, $15.07
Hearing Instrument Specialist, $24.23
Night Stocker, $12.48
Photo Technician, $15.63
Licensed Hearing Aid Dispenser, $24.76
Certified Optician, $18.04
Tire Technician, $16.92
Meat Wrapper, $14.32
Production Supervisor, $21.65
Front End Supervisor, $20.61
Sales Clerk/Cashier, $13.23
Retail Sales Associate, $13.80
Heavy / Tractor-Trailer Truck Driver, $21.64
Meat Manager, $23.13
Customer Service Specialist, $13.85
Costco Employee Agreement
The authority undergo agreement with its employees for the three years concurrent term. It gives the company a breathing space for long term retention of employees.
There are union contract ratification in many Costco locations with collective bargaining agreements. Employees found this benefits as a part of their job security that gives them a feeling of confidence on Costco.
The Employee Agreement includes things, like, job placement, long and short term benefits, compensations, wages, salary, incentives, disciplinary procedures, paid holidays, bonuses, commissions, and seniority.
However, the Employee Agreement changes (and updated) at any time by Costco that some employees consider some sort of vulnerability for the workforce.
- Level of Costco Wholesale Company employee job satisfaction rating is 3.9 (5), whereas, the same at Walmart Stores, Inc is 3.1 (4).
- Level of stress at Costco is rated “stressful”, whereas, the same at Walmart Stores, Inc is “highly stressful”.
- Percentage of male (56%) & female (44%) makes a gender equilibrium in Costco near me.
- Male employee average pay range is 12$-24$, whereas, the same for female employees is 11$-23$.
- Job flexibility in Costco rated by the employees is “Extremely Flexible”, as like the Walmart Stores. Costco offers various career opportunities with some specific required skills.
Degrees that pay
In Costco near me, having a Bachelor of Science (BS / BSc) earns $11 – $25;
Bachelor of Arts (BA) earns $12 – $24;
Associate of Science (AS) earns $11 – $24;
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) earns $13 – $20; and,
Associate of Arts (AA) degree earns $10 – $20 on an average as per level of skill and experience.
Top 10 Required Skills
There are some skills that are required for the Costco jobs near me. Skills are:
- Emotional intelligence
- Team work
- Stress management
- Business communication
- Etiquette (Telephone etiquette, Dress Code, email etiquette)
- Body language
- Time management
- Smiling face
Costco Job Requirements
Candidates visits the Costco employee site to get their answers to these questions about Costco jobs:
- Age Requirement (Minimum): 18 years old and above
- Operation Costco hours: Monday – Friday from 10:00 am until 8:30 pm, Saturday from 9:30 am until 6:00 pm, and on Sunday from 10:00 am until 6:00 pm.
- Drug Test: Does Costco drug test? –Yes.
- Apply method: Interested applicants can apply to Costco by submitting an online application
Costco is a balanced organization that nurtures its employees to strategize them in line of company growth. Employees with different experiences and skills work in Costco.
Less than 1 year, 5%
1-4 years, 34%
5-9 years, 20%
10-19 years, 25%
20 years or more, 16%
The statistics shows that employees with experience having 10 and more years and suitable skills fill up 25% of the organizational activities.
The largest number of employees from 1-4 years of experience fill up the most part of the workforce (34%). It means Costco near me has been a good choice for the young generation.
The statistics also describes that Costco is a good option to work for the senior citizens (16% of total workforce).
Overall, the growth ratio for the employees here in Costco is good. That means a higher job satisfaction for the employees in Costco near me, compared to other similar retailers.
Overall job satisfaction level is higher on Costco. The majority of workers consented that pay, benefits, and job security makes their job satisfaction higher and ownership with the organization. Candidates search in the google, Costco near me!
Costco has a tendency to reward incentives, increments and promotions to loyal employees from within the organization, rather than taking fresh from business grads. With flexible Costco hours and handsome Costco jobs pay, employees lavishly disclose their satisfactions. Workers without a bachelor’s degree has greater options (compared to other retailers) for pay and benefits too.
Employees get enough opportunities and room for their growth, movement and development. The company offers friendly work environment, work life balance, and the numerous career opportunities.
Employees can work independently. They also enjoy mixing with customers from all walks of life. The organization encourages work ethics, professionalism and honesty within it with flexible Costco hours.
Homely job environment keeps the colleagues in a amicable social bonding. It’s like the second family to many of its workers, as they pass most of the time every day here with work and fun. Company interfaces in case any abusive or indecent in incident takes place, rarely.
Employees turn positive, flexible with Costco hours and open to any change. Costco near me offers technologically sound employees any suitable additional job responsibilities considering need, on payment. Overall the people here are amazing.
Costco offer a series of facilities and benefits to its employees, that include:
- Livable wages
- Earning time
- Half on Sundays,
- Paid holidays off
- Two paid 15 minute breaks and a half hour for lunch who will be serving an 8 hour shift
- Floating holidays (such as on Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
- 401K plan with a 50 cents on the dollar match up to $500
- Affordable health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Guaranteed Costco hours
- Time flexibility
- Free gift/ food at Thanksgiving
- Free memberships
- Transfer for career move
However, these benefits, in some cases, may be conditional subject to other issues as per different Costco hours.
Entry level jobs
As per the source, some of the entry level jobs at Costco near me are as follows, among others:
- Cake decorator
- Cashier Assistant
- Customer Service Rep.
- Meat cutter
- Membership assistant
- Produce stocker
- Pharmacy technician
- Photo lab assistant
- Deli assistant
- Depart manager
- Front end manager
- Assistant manager
- General manager
About the career with it, Costco website says:
Thank you for your interest in Costco Wholesale. If you have the desire to work in a fast-paced, fun environment, interacting with a diverse group of people, look no further.
Costco Wholesale provides equal opportunity in all areas of employment and does not discriminate against any individual regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or other protected classes under federal, state or local law.
If you require assistance or a reasonable accommodation in completing these application materials or any aspect of the application process, please contact the Costco Location Manager at the location where you will be applying.
Your Application will remain active for 60 days. Costco Wholesale is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Top 12 Interview FAQ
There are no fixed question bank for the Costco retailer jobs. Yet, it is found from the experience of some of the employees that, following questions are commonly asked during the Costco interview process:
- Tell us about yourself.
- Tel us about your strength.
- Are you a team player? How?
- How would you convince a reluctant customer?
- Will you be flexible about time in this organization?
- To you, what is the best customer services?
- Tell me about your emotional intelligence.
- Are you technologically sound?
- Explain- “a customer is always right”
- Why are you the best candidate?
- What will be your biggest challenge here? How will you overcome this?
- Tell me your salary expectation.
The discussion is intended to help deserving candidates with a glimpse on Costco near me. It is found that, apart from online job application, candidates also search for Costco job application pdf from the sources. Costco career opportunities are looming for the craze with flexible Costco hours and handsome Costco jobs pay near me.
Other Recommended Articles
- 3 Easiest Ways for Building A Brand Strategy
- Strategic Management as A Process – Complete Guide
- 10 Ideas on How to Forgive Yourself for Hurting Someone
- 19 Hacks on How to Provide Excellent Customer Service
- 12 Tips on How to Write A Blog Post for A Company
- 12 Social Media Influencer Marketing Strategy
- 20 Tricks on Perfect Business Email Subject Lines for Marketing
- 4 Steps of A Successful Facility Planning – Complete Guide
- Job Analysis Methods – Importance | Steps | Tools | Methods | Uses
- Joint Venture Partnership – Types | Advantages | Disadvantages
- Diversification Strategy – Examples | Advantages | Approaches
- 10 Tips on How to Plan A Budget for a Savings
- 8 Hacks on How to Learn to Forgive and Trust Again
- 25 Hacks on How to Get Clients for A New Business
- 11 Tips on How to Find New Customers and Increase Sales
- 12 Tips on How to Delegate Work to Employees
- 5 Tips for Successfully Getting Through Tough Times in Business
- 17 Awesome Ideas to Improve Your Business Writing
- 13 Hacks on Successful Social Media Marketing
- 8 Steps to Learn How to Plan Effectively