It is not uncommon to have one or more members question your authority when it comes to leading a team. How to deal with a team member who questions your authority? It is a great challenge indeed. These challenges are often raised when a team member feels relaxed. He thinks his team should run and he will go out of his way to prove that he is more suitable than you. When a good manager listens to feedback from his staff, always remember that the final decisions are yours. This article will discuss how to deal with a team member who questions your authority.
How to deal with a team member who questions your authority
Here are the recommendations
1. Talk in person
Talk to a team member in person. Encourage him to respectfully publicize his grievances.
2. Accept criticism positively
Listen to criticisms of team members. If you understand what he wants to achieve and why he needs to ask you questions, you will have a better chance of resolving the situation.
3. See big picture
Review the project objectives. When it comes to the overall goal, make sure he’s on the same page. He can only agree with the manner in which he agrees.
Repeat your strategy and demonstrate how you can lead it to success. Don’t think that you have to justify your own approach, just tell him that you have a goal and a plan to reach it. As a member of your team, he is part of that strategy and, therefore, integral to its success.
Explain to him how his behavior is harmful to the team. She needs to understand that you are the leader of the project and ultimately responsible for its success or failure. If team members do not do their duty but spend time challenging your authority, the project will suffer.
6. Accept and reject
Give the team members a chance to respond. If he agrees, keep it. If he wants to challenge you, consider removing him from the team or promoting him to higher management.
More Interesting Articles
- Personal Letter Structure – A Complete Guide with Example
- Functional Level Strategy with Explanation and Examples
- An Analysis of Entrepreneurial Functions
- Creative Professional Self Introduction Examples
- Principles of Effective Communication
- Ways of Effective Communication that Payback the Most
- Professional Communication in Workplace – Definition | Skills | Class
- Consistency in Communication – Theory | Principle | Example
- Creativity in Communication Skills Development and Practice
- Conciseness in Communication – How to Improve Skills
- What are you Looking for in a Job Best Answer
- Part-time Job for Retiree – The Top Jobs for Workers Over 65
- Pros and Cons of Charismatic Leadership
- Conversation with Boss about Promotion
- Importance of SWOT Analysis in 2021 and Future
- Unique Selling Proposition Examples
- Career Planning Definition, Concept, Steps, and Process
- Examples of Passion in Life | Relationship | workplace
- Experience on the Resume that Fits the Desired Job
- The Key to Email Subject Lines for Job That Gets Opened